01 September 2006

Stupid view, stupid crane

I used to live on the sixth floor of a 1930’s block of flats in Cricklewood with views across Gladstone Park to Wembley and beyond. It was a nice flat until it got infested by bedbugs then it was evil. I’m saving the bed bugs story for another time when the huge team of therapists and witch doctors in charge of my recovery say I’m beginning to get over the horrific trauma of the experience. Sometime in 2189, they reckon.

When we moved into said flat The Fat Marmoset told us that we would have excellent views of the new Wembley Stadium. Sure enough the stadium slowly grew up and up above the treetops and we had a great view. I waited with rapt anticipation for the arch to appear. Then one day I noticed a long crane. It was a very long crane indeed. The longest crane I had ever seen.

‘Oh, hoorah,’ I said to everyone. ‘Soon they will put up the arch and we will have a marvellous view and be the envy of everyone. Hoorah. Hoorah.’

Then one evening I was on the 266 bus and looking down a road from the top deck I noticed a new addition to the skyline over Wembley.

They had put up the arch.

Apparently it had been up for ages.

We had, in fact, an excellent view of the side of the arch. Being exactly perpendicular to it we saw only a tall crane-like structure reaching above north west London.

And this is the kind of thing that happens to me all the time. If only we lived at the top of the hill in Roundwood Park – we’d then have this view:



But then we would have to live an a tent I expect, and the Froosh does not do the camping. No way.

3 comments:

Froosh Bamboo said...

Sorry about that typo IN THE TITLE. What a twat.

Actually, sorry about all the typoes. I am a hopeless proof reader - I am reknowed at work for it. I really am.

Ossian said...

I thought it was intentionally spelled that way the second time, to indicate the way that people emphasize it when they say "stupid" twice. "Stupid, ctewpid!" (I can hear my mother calling me.)

Poker Sign Up said...

Yes, in due time to answer, it is important